Thursday, October 6, 2011

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini


How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

Summary taken from Goodreads. 

Right from the beginning, I knew this book was going to be different than any I'd read. Sure there was the whole girl who knows she's not normal but not why. But other than that, completely original. You know that insta-love thing that was been happening more and more lately in YA books? Starcrossed has the exact opposite. Helen and Lucas (semi spoiler!) tried to kill each other on their first meeting!

From there on, I was hooked. The mythology was amazing. The Furies, the Greek gods, and a very popular Greek legend that I'm not going mention. Too spoilerish. They were all so well done! You can tell how much time and research went into this book. I was completely captivated.

I loved all the side characters in this novel. Helen's dad so was caring without being over protected. Their relationship was a treat to read. Helen's best friend, Claire, was hilarious! I loved every scene with her. So snarky, funny, and above all, loyal. The two fought, but when it really mattered Claire was there for Helen without a second thought.

Lucas' cousin, Hector, was my favorite. He came off cold and harsh, but you could tell everything he did was out of fear for his family's safety. To me, he was completely forgivable. He did what he thought was right but admitted when he was wrong. I loved him.

I had gotten this from the library, but I will be buying my own copy. This needs to be on my bookshelf so I can just gaze at it and reread it whenever I want. This book is definitely going to be in my Top Ten for the year. READ IT NOW! Anxiously await book two with me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment