Friday, September 9, 2011

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.


Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

Summary taken from Goodreads


The DUFF was a very cute and quick read. Though I wouldn't call it a fluff book. It dealt with a few hard issues and did it beautifully. I don't want to say too much about it cause it's a big part of the story. Just don't pick it up if you're looking for a fluff piece.

The DUFF also had a lot of language and sex, which I loved! Sometimes I think too many young adult books shy away from those, like they doesn't happen every day in high school. Which they totally do.

I really loved Bianca. I can see how some people could have a hard time connecting with her  but I just had so much in common with her so I had no problem falling in love with her story. I loved her snarky humor and pessimistic attitude.

The reason this story worked so well was Bianca's friends. The trio rounded each other out perfectly, which I think is the basis of all great friendships. Finding the qualities you lack in someone else.

And Wesley! He was such a lovable jerk. I could see exactly why Bianca chose him as her escape. By the end, I completely fell in love with him. Learning more about him and watching him grow was my favorite part of the story for sure. Plus... the dirty bits were hot!!

The only problem I had with this book was the ending. Things were a little too happily-ever-after for me. I thought a few things worked themselves out too easily. But it wasn't so bad that it ruined the book for me or anything like that.

I really enjoy Keplinger's debut. Can't wait to pick up Shut Out soon!

2 comments:

Erica said...

I still need to read this one, I absolutely adored Shut Out though! Glad to hear its good :)

Amanda said...

Glad to hear Shut Out is good! Can't wait to get to it!

Post a Comment