Saturday, January 21, 2012

Halfings by Heather Burch


After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.


Summary taken from Goodreads


This book was not for me. I didn't enjoy it.


Nikki was so inconsistent. As where all of the characters. I couldn't connect with any of them, or even really get a feel for who they were. Just for one example, Nikki was supposed to be a black belt. One of the Halflings, Raven, wanted to show her how to fight beings with supernatural abilities. So he went to attack her, and she cringed away and didn't even try to defend herself. That stopped me cold. I just didn't buy it at all.


The insta-love between her and Mace (and her and Raven) really bothered me as well. Both boys wanted her, but I couldn't tell you why. And I don't think they could either. 


Then there was the ending, which was so abrupt and out of nowhere that I thought maybe my Kindle had loaded the book wrong. Nope. It was really the ending. It didn't answer any of the questions that the whole book was about. It just didn't make sense to me.


I hate writing negative reviews. They make me feel so bad! But I just couldn't find anything in this book I enjoyed. I could go on, but I'll leave it at this. This just wasn't the book for me. 




Also, this is my first Debut Author Challenge book! For more on this challenge, check out The Story Siren's blog

1 comments:

Unknown said...

nice blog
new follower of ur blog
now follow my blog
http://glamorousgirlblog.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment