Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Top Ten Tuesdays: Books I'd Recommend To Someone Who Doesn't Read Vampire Books.

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
I have some serious issues with a certain vampire book that shall remain namless that turned a lot of people against vampire novels of all kinds. This is my list to show they're still great vampire novels out there everyone should read!

1. Guilty Pleasure (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #1)
I discovered this series when I was about fourteen. Now for those of you who have read these, you know I was probably too young to be reading them. But I don't regret it for a minute. This book is what turned me on to vampires. Some were frightening beyond belief and others were incredibly sexy. Most of them were both. I still love this series so much. Book twenty just came out last year. If you haven't read them. PLEASE DO! See what real vampires look like!!

2. Dead Witch Waking (The Hollows #1)
Rachel Morgan is a kick ass witch, with a living vampire as her partner. This world takes vampires to a whole different level. Living vampires still retain most of their human qualities, but when they vamp out, it's scary as hell. And the undead vampires have no human emotion left at all. Another great vampire novel.

3. A Girl's Guide to Vampires (Dark Ones #1)
Like your vampires with a little bit more a romantic side? That's just fine. I do too! I'd recommend MacAlister's series. She makes vampires seem like plausible romantic interest without taking away from what they really are.

4. Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1)
This series had three different types of vampire and two of them weren't blood thirsty killers. That may turn some people off, but the world is so well constructed that I didn't doubt it for a second. And that's all it really takes when you want to take something classic like vampires and change them. Just do it well. Don't leave gaping plot holes. And there are none to be found in the VA series.


5. Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1)
Bones! Bones is one of the best written male vampire love interest that I have ever read. And Cat is half vampire, half human, and totally awesome!

6. The Passage (The Passage #1)
Woah didn't know this was supposed to be a series! Sweet! *Ahem* Anyways. Vampires as a plague created by the government. A plague that wipes out most of the world. How freaking awesome is that? Trust me, no lovey-dovey vampires here. No sir. 

7.  If Angel's Burn (Darkyn  #1)
This is a series that shows the softer side of vampires, but still in a believe way.

8. City of Bones (Mortal Instrustments #1)
Okay. Not a vampire novel. But has vampires in it. Vampires that kill and feed off humans if they are not watched very closely. Vampires who turn unwillingly humans into vampires. Vampires who creeped the hell out of me (one vampire excluded). 

9. Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files #1)
In this world, humans are pretty much extinct. Vampires and werewolves run the world. The main character even works for a vampire and is hired to solve the murder of werewolves and vampires. I remember still being scared of Jace's boss, even though vampires were an everyday thing in her world. He would go from professional boss, to vamping out in a big way. It was awesome!

10. Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1)
The vampires in this are freaky. People sign up to become one. There's a waiting list. But when they become one, then person they once were is dead. They retain no higher brain power. Instead, they are piloted by very old and powerful vampires. It's hard to explain, but it was a completely new take on vampires for me and I ate it up. Another fantastic book with vampires!


So there you have it. Ten kick ass vampire novels. Some where vampires are scary beyond belief and some where they are believable love interests. If you've been turned off by vampires lately, turn any of these and I promise it will cure you of it!

What's your Top Ten this week?


P.s. Yes I left Dracula off the list. Yes I did this on purpose. Everyone knows Dracula is the original vampire. I wanted to a list with books that people may not have heard of.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome list! I agree, The Passage is an absolute must. Amazing book, I can't wait for the second one. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, it's like we're twin readers! ;) I can honestly say that I would agree with well over half your list, and I am SO GLAD you included both Kim Harrison and Justin Cronin here. Great TT!

Lily J. said...

Nice list! I'll have to try some of these!

Sara of The Page Sage said...

Haha someone who doesn't read vampire books? That would be me! I really do want to read Cassandra Clare, though, so I'm going to give that one a try! (Maybe it will help to ease me back into vampires.)

Post a Comment